Sixth Form Bursary Fund
In 2011-2012, the government launched the 16-19 Bursary Fund (known as the Sixth Form Bursary Fund). The Fund is to provide financial support to disadvantaged students in order to assist those students overcome specific barriers to their participation to ensure they remain within education.
After meeting the eligibility criteria, in order to receive payments from the Bursary Fund, students must meet set criteria on attendance and punctuality, standard of work and behaviour.
The Sixth Form Bursary Fund is formed of two elements:
- £1200 Vulnerable Student Bursary payments for groups of students who meet any of the following criteria:
- young people in public care,
- recent care leavers,
- young people directly in receipt of income support or Universal Credit in place of Income Support (not via their parents)and
- disabled students in receipt of Employment Support Allowance (or Universal Credit) and Disability Living Allowance.
- Discretionary Bursary payments will be available to students who qualify for free school meals.
Additional criteria for receiving payments:-
Attendance & Punctuality
100% attendance and punctuality to all required registration sessions and lessons as stated on your timetable.
This is monitored by registration records and your teachers recording absence or unreasonable lateness to lessons.
Standard of work
Subject teachers must be satisfied that sufficient progress is being made on all IB, A Level and BTEC courses that you are taking. This includes the completion of all homework/coursework to a satisfactory standard.
General conduct around the Academy will be taken into account. This includes providing a good role model for younger students, making appropriate use of study facilities provided by the Academy and maintaining a respectful attitude to all members of staff and other students.
Eligible students will receive a total of seven bursary payments through terms 1 to 4 and on completion of examinations in Term 5. A list of payment decisions will be available from the Sixth Form Management Team, the week before payments are made.
Payment of bursaries – Payment can be made electronically into students’ own bank accounts.